Child custody is generally the most pressing issue for a parent during divorce. The outcome of the judge’s decision will frame the parent’s relationship with his or her child for the foreseeable future.
Representing Child Custody Matters In And Around Canton, Michigan
At Xuereb Law Group, we understand what is on the line for parents, and our attorneys are dedicated to leveraging their experience and legal skills to protecting the parent’s ability to see the children.
If you are facing a child custody battle or interested in knowing your rights before fighting for custody, call our law offices today to speak with a knowledgeable custody attorney who can provide you with the answers and information you need.
Child custody is based on several basic family law factors that the court will use to gauge what type of custody arrangement is in the best interests of the child. These include:
- Existing emotional ties between the parent and child
- The parent’s capacity to provide basic care, including food, clothing and medical care
- How long the child has lived in a stable environment and which arrangement will create normalcy for the child
- The permanence of the proposed (or existing) home and living environment
- Visitation and parenting time arrangements
- General moral fitness of the parents
- General mental and physical health of the parents
- The educational arrangements for the child, including the child’s record at school, at home and in the community
- The parent’s capacity to provide affection, as well as guidance in the child’s religion or creed, if any
- The parents’ willingness to allow the child to continue a healthy relationship with the other parent
- The child’s general preference, depending on age
- Other glaring factors that the court considers relevant
Even with these guidelines, the court has a great degree of discretion over its decision in the matter. It is important that you have legal representation that knows how to effectively present your case and protect your parental rights before the judge.
For more information, call our law offices today.